Monday, December 19, 2011

Our Director

The Peace Corps is a distinct organization in many respects, one of which is that the people with whom you work are not just your professional colleagues but your friends, family and support system. As I’ve mentioned, I was part of the first group of Water and Sanitation Volunteers in Peru. Our group and program is directed by Engineer Jorge,. He started with Peace Corps the same time we all did, and we all learned together. He treated us as colleagues as we figured out what worked for WatSan and what did not work and we all worked together as a team to further develop the WatSan program. I remember very distinctly that after we had completed a year of service, all eleven of the remaining Peru 12 Volunteers and Jorge met in the computer lab for several hours to go over the 13-page Water and Sanitation project plan word by word to offer suggestions for improvement and to determine whether this project plan seemed feasible for team WatSan. Jorge shows a tremendous and inspirational amount of enthusiasm, dedication and passion for improving communities through water and sanitation related interventions. He is extremely excited and happy when Volunteers experience success and is sad when Volunteers experience setbacks and does his best to help them out of the situation. This past year I’ve been privileged to work with Jorge on a daily basis, and it’s incredible to work with someone who has so much passion for what he does and cares about his Volunteers almost as if they were his own children. I cannot imagine the WatSan program with a different boss. Thank you Jorge!

No comments: