Tuesday, December 13, 2011

My Favorite Project

Although my project assignment is Water and Sanitation, the projects and activities I enjoyed the most were working with youth. I very much enjoy working with WatSan related topics and understand the importance of them, but I was most excited and felt most energetic when working with young adults. In Peace Corps Peru, Volunteers in a region frequently carry out leadership camps for young men and young women. The LICA region carried out its first leadership camp for young men in August of 2010. I worked with a few other Volunteers to plan the 3 day camp. The camp focused on the importance of volunteerism and that everyone has something he can contribute to his community. The camp included lots of team-building activities, first aid, meeting firemen, hearing from the Red Cross and going through a mini project design session so that each participant could work with his hosting Peace Corps Volunteer to develop a service project to carry out in his community when they finished the camp. There were 22 young men who attended the camp, and all of them came up with excellent ways to contribute to the improvement of their communities. In this picture, Fletcher is working with the youth he brought to develop the goals and work plan for their community service project. For me, I always feel most energized when people around me are excited about what they are doing and/or learning, and the young men at this camp were excited to meet people from places they had never been before and to think about the ways they can improve their communities.

No comments: