Thursday, December 8, 2011
Camaraderie
One of my favorite parts of my Peace Corps experience is that I am now friends with many people with whom I would not have been friends with in a regular situation. I am fortunate to have friends that are entirely different than me in almost all aspects, but we are all still united because we’re in Peace Corps/PerĂº together. In general, being a Volunteer makes us into a team. This was displayed various times throughout our service, but I was always most impressed by this team mentality whenever someone needed help with a project. The project could be anything—conducting household surveys, finishing bathroom construction, building temporary showers, moving 40 fold-up beds from one room to another—and Volunteers would gladly get together to work to get the job done. Obviously, there are various motives that go into that willingness. For me, I was excited to be in another site for awhile, surrounded by great friends and also help out families and my friend’s project. I think it’s great that all those things were motivating factors. We were able to see the reality of Peru in various communities, help develop various projects and strengthen friendships with incredible people. The camaraderie I’ve experienced in Peace Corps still continues to amaze me and makes me proud to be called a Peace Corps Volunteer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment