Friday, August 14, 2009

Back on Track

Sometimes I forget why I am in Perú. Sometimes my goal is simply to make it through the day or until the next "fun event." Sure, that is natural and expected. However, it is always good to be reminded why I am here. Not only am I Peace Corps volunteer, but I am also working to improve the lives of people in terms of water and sanitation. I need to take pride in that and find a sense of purpose in that. Recently, one of the WatSan volunteers sent out the following article from Slate: http://www.slate.com/id/2223279/. I encourage you to check out this article about the ways we can help provide safe drinking water to people around the world.

This article states, " Nearly 1 billion people lack access to safe water supplies. Some 3.5 million people die each year from water-related diseases, and almost 3 million of them are children. While most Americans simply turn on the tap, people in many parts of the world spend three hours searching for clean water each day. Not because there isn't enough water to go around but because poor people are systematically denied access to the clean water they need." That is why I am here. Now it is time to work!

No comments: