Monday, March 9, 2009

The Novelty is Wearing Off

As I mentioned, on the 12th of this month we will have been in Perú for half a year. That is a long time. That is the longest I have been away from home and have not seen my family or friends from home, etc. Along with that length of time comes the joy of becoming accustomed to Perú, the culture, the practices, the life-style, etc. This is not to say I understand everything about Peruvian culture or that I am never surprised by what I see here, but the initial novelty is wearing off.

While we were in training, I felt like I was in a study abroad program. The reality of the situation did not really sink in. After being at site for over two months, I cannot say that reality has entirely set in, but being in Perú feels so natural now. Working in my community and living with my family has become standard—it has become “real life” for me. With that sentiment of this being “real life” comes the reality of real life. I can honestly say that there have been some days that have been less ideal than others. Some days I have been a little reluctant to get out of bed in the morning and I have not been as enthused about what lies ahead in the day. At first this sentiment really concerned me…why am I not enjoying my experience? But then I calmed down realizing that for all of my life there have been days where energy is low and I just don’t feel as excited about the day. That’s a part of life. My life is in Perú right now as a volunteer with the Peace Corps, and I am very happy about that.

No comments: